Before Intravenous Sedation or General Anesthesia
- You are NOT to eat or drink anything for a minimum of 6 hours prior to surgery. For your safety, surgery will be rescheduled if this is not followed!
- If medication was prescribed to be taken prior to surgery, take it with only a small sip of water, or just enough water to allow the pills to be swallowed. Please take nay regular daily medication, unless instructed otherwise. Diabetic patients are to follow the specific instructions that the surgeon gave them at the exam.
- No smoking or alcohol consumption 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- It is mandatory that a responsible adult accompany you to your surgery appointment and home again. This person is required to wait on the premises during surgery and is to remain with you for a period of 24 hours. Please make prior arrangements to leave small children and friends at home.
- Asthmatic patients: Please bring your inhaler with you to your surgery.
- Make-up should not be worn and all fingernail polish should be removed prior to your appointment.
- FEMALE PATIENTS: If you suspect or find you are pregnant, please contact our office immediately.
- Contact lenses should not be worn. Please removed them prior to your appointment and bring your eyeglasses with you.
- Please wear loose, non-constrictive clothing with short sleeves. Do no wear flip-flops or heels, as they pose a safety risk.
- No jewelry of any kind should be worn.
- Please leave all valuables (i.e. iPods, cell phones, purses, etc.) at home, as these items are not allowed in the surgery or recovery rooms. If brought, they will be left with your ride for safekeeping.
- If cough, fever, upper respiratory tract infection or bowel upset symptoms develop, please contact our office immediately.
- Please DO NOT drive, operated heavy machinery or make any legal decisions for 24 hours following surgery.
For a printable copy of these instructions, please click here.